Traditional pilgrimage to Loreto
Pilgrims, medics and paramedics, members and volunteers from the Order’s Italian Delegations took part in the traditional pilgrimage to the shrine of Loreto, in the province of Ancona, central Italy, from 24 to 26 October.
The days of celebration began on Via Lucis and ended inside the Sanctuary. The pilgrims participated in the daytime Mass on Saturday inside the Basilica on Via Crucis, and in the Eucharistic Benediction procession to the Holy House of the Virgin Mary.
According to tradition, the House of Loreto is the place of Mary’s birth, education and annunciation, and has the same significance as that of Nazareth in Galilee, from whence three brick walls of the house were transported in December, 1294.
The Order’s Patron Cardinal, Cardinal Pio Laghi, presided over the closing Mass on Sunday morning. Among the very large congregation were the Grand Master, Fra’ Andrew Bertie, Marchese Gian Luca Chiavari, and the professed knights, Fra’ Carl Paar, Fra’ Carlo Carlo Arditi di Castelvetere, Fra’ John MacPherson and Fra’ Giacomo della Torre.